Pages

Wednesday 20 October 2010

My woodcarving tools

Here are the tools I use for carving spoons.
At the top is a Gransfors Bruks Wildlife hatchet. I use it for splitting wood and roughing out the shape of spoons. It can be used to do surprisingly fine work.
My leatherman wave was mainly used to collect wood, until I snapped the saw. I now use a Bahco Laplander folding saw. Next is a Mora 164 crook knife. This is used to hollow out the bowl of the spoon. It's not the best crook knife out there but it does the job. Next is the Mora Clipper. It's a fantastic starter knife. The blade is made from a high carbon steel and holds an edge extremely well. It's dirt cheap, so a great blade to learn how to sharpen with. It has however been replaced by the knife next to it. The Woodlander Classic, by Ben Orford. This is a very pricey knife that I wouldn't recommend for just spoon carving as it's a bit too much knife for that. It is however a joy to hold and use.

1 comment:

  1. Tools are very important and we should have them in our houses on the safe side. You shared a very good article, keep it up

    ReplyDelete