Pages

Saturday 16 August 2014

Hewing Out A Beech Bowl

***This blog has moved to my new website. New posts will be made here***

I brought home a large beech log from Spoonfest, with the intention of making some bowls from it. So after a particularly hectic week, here's the first of hopefully several bowls this log will provide.

It's a lot of fun working on a bigger project like this. I do however want to make sure I have it ready for drying by the end of the weekend, as I already have about three bowls that have dried before I've got them to where I wanted to get them. They've all been sitting untouched for a while now. Should probably get round to finishing them soon!

Here's what I managed to get done today. Hopefully I can show you the (almost) finished product tomorrow.
Took a while to saw through



Looks great on the inside

I was surprised at how easily it split.
I used the left half, the right half has a large knot on the outside


Learnt this technique of drawing an oval from David Fisher's video.

Hewing out with my Hans Karlsson adze

The inside all roughed out. 

I used a Hans Karlsson gouge to remove the adze marks. 

Using a Svante Djarv little Viking axe to rough out the outside.

After about 4 hours work I decided to stop here. More tomorrow!

5 comments:

  1. Good photographs and explanations Tom. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Muy buen trabajo. Felicitaciones!!! Congratulations!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me gustaría saber el nombre de las herramientas que vas utilizando en tus trabajos

    ReplyDelete